EMDR, PTSD & Trauma Treatment


Enquire online »

Following is a list of answers to questions we often receive. If you have a question not listed below, or would like to make an inquiry, please contact us.

How do I get started.

Either send JMB Psychology an email with your intention to engage with treatment, or phone or text 0421778204 and provide your email address.  You will be sent an online intake form.  After completion you may then book you appointment online.  Eligible clients are encouraged to book an appointment with their referring GP to request a Mental Health Care Plan (MHCP).  Your referring doctor will assess your eligibility and fax your MHCP to our practice.   Your MHCP entitles you to a significant Medicare rebate (i.e. $131.65).


Please refer to the ‘fees’ section of our webpage.

How many sessions can I have with a medicare rebate?

The Mental Health Care Plan allows up to 10 rebates per calendar year.    After six sessions, you are required to return to your referring GP for a review.    Please note, when booking your appointment with your referring doctor, please advise their reception staff you will be requesting a Mental Health Care Plan.  A long consultation may be required. The paperwork associated with your MHCP will be required prior to commencing your first appointment with the Psychologist.

What if I need more than 10 sessions?

In special circumstances, your psychologist or social worker may request a Chronic Disease Management (CDM) Plan from your referring doctor. If you have not used this plan for alternative services previously, this plan offers an additional 5 sessions with a reduced rebate.

Alternately, some clients use their private health fund or pay privately for additional services.

If you have been a victim of violent  crime, please contact Victims Services in your state for support with funding.  Please note I am not a registered provider for Victims Services and you will need to contact an alternate practitioner.

If you are a victim of sexual abuse in an Institution (i.e. school, church etc), please cotact the National Redress Scheme https://www.nationalredress.gov.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjwov6hBhBsEiwAvrvN6Mi97R4NPM6WVmDieQctH4hAEzFoSNMzVECJW87zslTDcLvJu858lhoC9XwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.  The scheme not only provides compensation (average $80K), but also provides support for you whilst making the application.  Note, graphic details of the abuse IS NOT REQUIRED, and proof of your statement is also not required.  Your application is reviewed based on matching information already held by the Scheme. You are welcome to nominate your own provider for psychological support.

Can I receive treatment via Zoom?

Treatment is provided via Zoom.  Medicare rebates are eligible under the Telehealth initiative.

What if I need medication?

In Australia currently, Psychologists cannot prescribe medication. If your Psychologist believes you may benefit from medication, he or she may make a recommendation to your referring medical practitioner, who will then make a decision in this regard. If you have any concerns or questions regarding medication, psychologists are happy to provide you with information in this regard.

What should I expect during treatment?

Individual practitioners vary in their approach. Some clients prefer a solution oriented approach, whilst others prefer a more conversational and counselling style of treatment. Broadly speaking, you can expect your first session will involve your practitioner primarily listening in order to understand your presenting issue. During the initial treatment phase, you will be encouraged to identify your treatment goals, and participate in a tailored treatment plan for your needs. Your practitioner appreciates that you may feel uncomfortable during the early stages of treatment, and will attempt to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

What training is required for a Psychologist?

All Psychologists are required to undertake a minimum of a four year degree and complete an additional two years supervised training (minimum 6 years). Some psychologists undertake additional post-graduate study at University and may also have a Masters, PhD or Doctorate.   To work as a Psychologist in Australia, the practitioner is required to hold registraton with the Australian Health Practitioners Registration Board (AHPRA).

Many Practitioners also hold membership of additional bodies, including the Australian Psychological Society (APS), and the Eye Movement Desensitization Association of Australia (EMDRAA). Please note that membership of any additional body is not the same as being registered with AHPRA. Any member of the pubic can check their practitioners registration details at https://www.ahpra.gov.au

What is the difference between a Clinical and General Psychologist?

A General Psychologist has 4 years of University training (either a Bachelor of Science/Arts with Honours or a Bachelor of Psychology) plus 2 years supervised practice in the field (i.e. 6 years total).

A Clinical Psychologist has at least 6 years of University training: This training includes the 4 year undergraduate degree, plus a 2 year Masters degree in Clinical Psychology, or a 3 year Doctor of Psychology, or a 4 year combined masters/PhD. The post graduate training focuses on Clinical Psychology (ie diagnosis and treatment).

What is the difference between a Psychologist and Psychiatrist?

Psychologists study human behaviour in their undergraduate and postgraduate degrees before undertaking supervised experience and gaining professional registration. Psychologists do not have a medical degree. Studying to become a Psychologist involves a minimum of 6 years study at University.

Psychiatrists have completed a medical degree. A Psychiatrist has completed an approved course of study to become a medical practitioner before completing further qualifications in the medical treatment of mental illness.

Book Online - Existing Clients Only